|Class of c.1929
The original St Michael's Church, built in 1919,
was built as a church-school, but it wasn't until the
actual parish of St Michael's Longueville was formed
in 1922 that the Sisters of Mercy began teaching in
the Church-school of St Michael's.
The parish priest, Fr Hugh McGuire, arranged for the
Sisters of Mercy (North Sydney Congregation) to run
They had to commute to Lane Cove, perhaps from
their house in Pymble, until they established a
convent in Lane Cove in 1928.
The first Holy Communion on 15th August, 1923 Details of the early years are scarce. It seems that
the first school was a church-school in Dorritt
Street, on the site of the present St Michaelís
Church. The first principal was Sr Evangelist rsm. Numbers
in the first year are unknown, but by 1925 there
were 140 infants and primary students.
|The first Holy Communion on 15th August, 1923
The school grew to about 200 in 1940 and catered
for lower primary boys and for girls from
Kindergarten to Year 6. In the 1950s the girlsí
education was continued with the provision of
Home Science teaching up to Intermediate
(Third Year). This meant an increase in enrolment
to over 300 pupils.
The Wyndham reforms in New South Wales schools in
the 1960s caused Archdiocesan authorities to
rationalise Catholic schooling.
St Michaelís agreed to end secondary classes in about
1963 and concentrate on providing primary education
for boys in lower primary and for girls to Year 6.
This change also meant that the Sisters of Mercy had
agreed that St Michaelís should be a systemic school
under the supervision of the CEO, Sydney.
|St Michael's School, 1953
Enrolments remained high, and a new wing was
added in 1961.
Steady growth continued after 1970, one reason being that from the mid 1980s boys remained at
the school until the end of Year 6,in accordance with the Archdiocesan preference that primary
schooling be parish-based.
To cater for the growth there was substantial refurbishment and additions to the buildings
between 1970 and 1990.
The Sisters of Mercy had staffed St Michaelís from 1922.
In recent decades they employed more and more lay teachers, and in 1985 ended their leadership
of the school. The first lay principal was Mrs Caroline Leuenberger.
The current (2005) enrolment at St Michael's is 552 students.
The Work of Daphne Mayo, Sculpture
This Bas Relief of Christ with little children graces the facade
of St Michael's School.
Bill and Don Gibbons, the architects for the building
of the school in 1953, managed to secure the services of
this distinguished sculpture through the good offices of
well-known artist, Dr Lloyd Rees.
The Gibbons brothers were also former pupils of St Michael's
and Bill served as a model for the head of Christ and one
of his sons for the children.
Sources: Fergus Cloran, A History of St Michael ís Lane Cove (parish history)